Saturday, March 2, 2013

Follow Up: Project Vates

So, Pages don't work like I thought they did. I wanted to make it so I could post everything for Project Vates on a separate page(ie; not the main blog page.) because I wanted to keep them all together. That's not what pages do. At least, not as far as I can tell right now. I don't want to spin off another blog site entirely, so the new posts will stay here for the time being.(I do know how to use tags, though. So that's something.)

 If anyone knows more about this than I do, feel free to enlighten me, please!

So anyway. Project Vates. What is it?

It is a tabletop RPG of my own creation. It started way back in High school, I guess; different ideas I had while being introduced to the wider world of Nerd-dom, science fiction, fantasy, etc. Even before I knew what a tabletop RPG really was. I mean, I had a vague knowledge of DnD as a somewhat self-destructive pastime of socially inept teens played in dark basements, but that was as far as it went(I no longer believe this). So I had this idea to create a board game of sorts that would involve characters adventuring across a map and gaining different abilities. It never went beyond the concept stage. Some of my friends can attest to this. I still have the horribly basic character sheets and equipment lists that came from that. (I am so ashamed.)

But I had ideas that stuck around. (I think they are good ones, generally.) And then in college, this dude introduced me to the reality of Tabletop RPGs. And it was Awesome. But none of them had quite the feel i was looking for. All of them provide tools for making the game your own, but they still weren't quite right. So I got the idea to create my own setting for a game. the feel would be my own, and I could just shove whatever ruleset I wanted under the hood. Which is a good idea. But it still wouldn't be mine. So why not just build a new system from the ground up? People do it quite often. I'll be taking inspiration from other systems, to be sure, but we all take inspiration from somewhere. I get to look at all the systems that are already out there and say "Why didn't they do this?" or "Why did they do this?" All my favorite things from RPGs can be rolled into one ball of wax. So that's it. Project Vates is me attempting something crazy. Will I succeed? No clue. But i'll sure give it my best.

"Ok, so you're doing something really nerdy and huge in scale, why do we care?" I'll tell you. Because I want your input! I'm going to be posting my ideas here(Races, mechanics, locations, abilities, etc.) and i want you to weigh in. Tell me when an idea doesn't seem like it fits; if you think it does; if you think it's really silly; if you just don't like it. Offer your own ideas. Think it would be awesome for my world to have a city made of pastries? Tell me. If there's something from a game you really like, tell me about that too.(I won't copycat, but I'll put my own spin on it and include it if I can.) For instance, I always liked how White Wolf's 'World of Darkness' system used a base number of points for abilities and such at character creation. So that will be something I look at, as opposed to how Pathfinder does it.(based on dice rolls and character class). In the words of Number 5, "Inpuuuut. Need more input!"

You can't force creativity, so I don't have a planned schedule for updates. Maybe with some outside input, some people to bounce ideas off of, the creative juices will flow a little faster.

Thanks for reading!
-Kapp

No comments:

Post a Comment